Thursday, April 23, 2015

Training for Ironman with a Boyfriend (Not G Rated!)

When I trained for my first Ironman, 90% of the time I was single.  I purposely avoided a relationship due to the fact that my time was being demanded by work and training enough as it was.  The thought of adding someone at home or someone to give time to seemed impossible, especially if I wanted to be a selfless/caring/giving partner.  

My boyfriend and I started dating just a little over a month from my Ironman BUT we were long distance, so it was manageable.  Two months after my Ironman, he moved in.  I wasn't back to training for a few months.  

When training started, I fair warned my boyfriend.  I warned him that I would be tired, grumpy, hungry, exhausted, and hungry.  He understood and was very understanding.  He still is.  But man, its not easy being a good girl friend, a good employee, and a good athlete.  Just about every morning, I wake up with my boyfriend when his alarm goes off for work (normally 5:50 am).  As he starts getting ready, I go to the kitchen and start making his breakfast and packing his lunch.  He never asks me to do this, I do it because I love doing it-I honestly do.  Once his breakfast/lunch is made, I start prepping whatever I might need for my workouts (get water bottles ready/pack bag/get changed if not already in workout clothes/etc).  Then off to work he goes and I carry on with my plan for the day.

I normally get home last.  As soon as I get home (which is normally around 7:30 pm) I start making dinner.  My boyfriend does offer to help with anything, but when it comes to cooking I really don't need help, and I kinda don't want it.  So, I make him do the dishes.  By the time dinner is done, its about 8:00 pm.  We normally watch a movie/documentary as we eat dinner.  I eat pretty quickly, so within 10-15 minutes I'm done eating.  Now, because we've seen each other maybe 1 hour total for the entire day, even if I'm exhausted I will still try to attempt to stay up and watch the movie with him.  9 times out of 10 though, I pass out within 10 minutes of trying to just watch the movie while laying my head on his lap (this way he doesn't know exactly when I fell asleep, shhhh dont tell!)  Once the movie is over, he always asks "Are you ready for bed, babe?" which wakes me up and I quickly reply "Yep".  I still really don't know if he knows if I'm asleep or not.  We then both brush our teeth and get ready for bed.  When I finally crawl into bed, I'm ready to pass out, but sometimes that's not on the mans agenda.  And truthfully, I like his agenda better.  But man, after training and working all day its a true test of endurance.  Physically/Mentally/Emotionally.  It does make for an interesting time though.  Pending on my workout, there's just certain things my legs and hips don't want to do, so certain positions are out of the quesiton.  I hear yoga is good for endurance athletes because it stretches the muscles and relaxes you- with my boyfriend, I've got something better than yoga.  This might be a little too much, but I warned you in the title and that probably enticed you to ready this even more, its ok.  Deep down, we are all perverts.  Not gonna lie, would it be easier to just say "Babe, I'm too tired/sore", yes it would, and I've tried it but my guy is pretty good at convincing me to change my mind.  I am reluctant at first, cause I know I need my rest but once all is said...or yelled....and satisfyingly done, its totally worth it.

So, is having a boyfriend more stressful? Absolutely.  But at the same time its wonderful.  I have someone who will rub my shoulders/neck randomly, without being asked.  I have someone who will surprise me with dinner being made.  I have someone who will hold me whenever I ask.  I have someone who will wake up at 2 am to get me to a race and will be at every possible point to see me during my race.  And I go through a lot less AAA batteries.  It's tough handling it all, and I can only imagine kids in the picture (but that's what military school is for...just kidding! Actually, not really!)  As I'm 23 days out from my 2nd Ironman, I am slightly stressed, in fact I had a total break down a few weeks ago but thankfully Justin held me through it, I am nervous.  But, I've got someone who helps calm me and loves me.  Loves my body even with all the awkward tan lines.  And I love him.  So its totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment