Thursday, February 26, 2015

Why Ironman Texas?

After finishing my first Ironman last year, I knew I was only getting started.  That I wouldn't be a one and done kind of Ironman.  The feeling I had crossing that finish line, is like no other.  I want that feeling again. 
 
After finishing IM Lou, I thought about which Ironman I wanted to do next.  Seeing as how Panama City is only a couple hours away, I was hoping to do IM FL.  I had my volunteer spot secured, seeing as how that's almost the only way to be able to race IM FL.  I was so excited to volunteer and was going to do it with several friends.  I was really excited.
 
My oldest Brother had been battling stage 4 cancer and on October 2nd, he lost his battle.  I was able to see him the day before he passed away but that broke my heart more because of how much he looked like my Dad when he died.  For those of you who don't know my brother, he was a big ole biker guy.  He worked for Harley Davidson, built Harley's, customized them, and knew everything about a motorcycle like it was the back of his hand.  My brother, not being so traditional, wished for a Celebration of Life as apposed to a funeral.  The Celebration of Life was scheduled the same day as was IM FL, so this meant no longer being able to volunteer.
 
Ironman FL was officially out of the picture.  Shoot. What race am I going to do now???  I looked at the IM website to see all the races in the United States and decided on IM Texas.  IM Texas was the next closest race, relatively flat, and I've had a few friends in the area who have done it already and told me mostly good things about it.  Only negatives heard was that it was hot, well so was Louisville, so bring that on.  And that the mass start swim is a little crazy, especially since its through a narrow canal. 
 
I'm excited for IM Texas.  I finished IM Lou in 15 hours and 6 minutes.  My goal for Texas is to 1- Finish and 2-Finish in 14 hours.  That might sound steep to knock off an hour and six minutes within 9 months but why reach for small things if we have the ability to jump? 

No comments:

Post a Comment