Friday, May 16, 2014

Pre-Race Voodoo

Everyone has their own routine.  Their own "thing" the day before a race to prep.  Eat a particular meal, do yoga, or just simply make sure all your stuff is packed and ready to go.  I have a few things I make sure to do before a race, some serious and some are just goofy things I do.

Days leading up the race, I first make sure everything on my bike is good.  Not just for my sake, but for my bike mechanics.  It would be bad if something were to go wrong during my ride for both my mechanic and myself.  It would be careless on my behalf and just look bad on him which I would never want because he takes such good care of me.  So I'll make sure, if its been a while, to get a pre race tune up and just have everything looked at.  I'll also wipe down my bike to make sure she is extra sexy for the race.

Also, within the few days before the race, I wont shave my legs.  Gross and funny, but I feel that if I wait a couple days and just do it race morning that my legs will somehow be extra smooth.  Is there any scientific proof to it? I'm 99% sure theres not but in my mind it works and I've been doing it for every race I've ever done.  

Few days prior I just go through all my stuff and make sure I have everything I need for race day.  Do I have my sunscreen chapstick? Do I have enough body glide? Nutrition? Is my outfit clean? Which socks do I want? Are my goggles fogging up? Are my nails (finger and toes) trimmed down? Also try to make sure to get some of your best sleep in the prior days of the race.  Sleep the night before the race won't affect you as much as how much you get two days or more prior.

Now the day before a race.  If I'm working or I know I'm going to be standing/very active, I will wear compression socks to help keep my legs from getting fatigued/sore.  I use 110% Flat Out Sox (see on right).  These compression sox are amazing.  I've worn them before every race the day before and/or to bed that night.  Never have I woke up for a race with my legs feeling sore or restless after wearing these.  
I also try to make sure to stay away from any negativity as much as possible.  More than usual at least.  I will try to keep myself energetic and extremely happy, for example, as I'm typing this up I have fun, up beat music to keep my pumped and dancing.  I try not to stress myself out about anything and just enjoy the day and think about my race strategy.

Night before the race.  I always, always, always, eat Chicken Alfredo pasta for pre race dinner.  I don't eat many carbs in my diet throughout the week/training so to me this is like giving a kid ice cream and cake for dinner.  Not really from any particular place, although I do have a favorite towards Olive Gardens, but sometimes I'll just make my own.  After dinner, I then make my ghost.  No, I don't stand under a white sheet and start saying boo.....ok maybe if theres a white sheet laying around I do do that , but thats besides the point.  I will layout what I'm going to be wearing that next morning.  I will layout my top, sports bra, tri shorts, sweat pants, jacket/hoodie (keep your body warm prior to race, being cold will waste energy), my flip flops, and my chip for the race.  Next to that I will have my products I will need to use layed out next to it, on top of my bag, so that I make sure to put it in my bag if I need to take it with me such as lotion, chapstick, sunscreen, body glide, deodorant, etc.  

Race morning. First thing I do is shower.  The reason I shower that morning and not the night before is because I have really long, thick hair.  So trying to get my hair to do what I want for a race (which normally consists of a braided bun) is impossible when its dry.  So right after my shower, I get my hair done, which thanks to my military days doesn't take me but maybe a few minutes now.  Post shower, I put on all my lubricants/oils/etc.  I'll start with sunscreen and honestly ( I know I'm bad for this) I only put sunscreen on my tattoos, but in my defense I do have Native American Indian in me so I honestly dont burn easily at all.  Then I put my body glide on.  Where? I put it all around my under arms, all over my chest where my sports bra will be, my inner thighs, and all over my feet.  Then deodorant and my lotion all over my body, I will never race/run if my body doesn't have lotion, again one of my superstitions I guess where I feel if my skin has lotion on it and is all smooth I will go faster? Once the body is all lubed up, I'll finally get my outfit on.  Then take any nutrition/food.  Pre race I do peanut butter sandwich or a chocolate chip waffle, my vitamins, and my endurolytes (sodium/electrolyte tablet) and drink only water.  I will then make sure everything is packed up and ready to go.  Get the car loaded and take off jamming out to super upbeat fun music.  

That's just what I do.  I know I'm a dork with some things but its just what I do.  Everyone has their own thing.  

Music you'll find me listening to get pumped as of today:
Wild Ones- Flo Rida
Dust - Eli Young Band
I'm Ready- AJR
Anything from Ke$ha
Ready Set Roll- Chase Rice
Wild Wild Love- Pit Bull
Shake Senora - Pit Bull
Hall of Fame- The Script
I gotta Feeling -Black Eyed Peas
Give it 2 U- Robin Thicke
Blurred Lines- Robin Thicke
Anything from Nicki Minaj
Shake it- The Lacs
Wylin - The Lacs

No comments:

Post a Comment