Friday, May 30, 2014

Less than a month till the Half!

I am now 23 days away from my Ironman 70.3 Syracuse and my training has kicked up.  With that it has been kicking my butt.  Not because I'm not in shape, clearly, but the combination of longer training hours and still working 40 hours becomes exhausting.  I'm so glad I chose not to continue with classes this semester cause that would have been crazy.  

This has been the most demanding training week, and with Syracuse being a very hilly course and living in an area that doesn't have any hills my coach has been really working my legs.  Let me show you what my week has been like so far:

Monday: 

It's always my easy day (seeing as how Sunday I had a 3 hour trainer ride), so all I had to do Monday was swim for 1 hour and 20 minutes and then work 9:30-5:30.  That wasn't too bad.

Tuesday:

Bike for 2 hours, Run for 1 hour, then 15 minutes of TRX (lower body), then work from 11:30-7:30. I was whooped for work.  

Wednesday:

Swim for 1 hour and then a 45 min Tempo run.  Let me tell ya, after my 3 workouts yesterday, the only tempo my legs had were not so tempo haha.  My legs were crazy sore and not wanting to move.  Then I had to work 11:30-7:30.

Thursday: 

Bike for 1 hour and 8 minutes, Run for 35 minutes, and then 15 minutes of TRX (upper body).  Then work from 11:30-7:30.  I was dog tired at this point.  Like zombie status at work.  


My coach joined me for training on Thursday
Today, Friday, all I have is swimming for 30 minutes.  Tomorrow I have the Grandman Triathlon but then I also have a swim workout that evening.  Then, Sunday, 3 hours and 30 minutes of hill repeats on the bike followed by a 35 minute run followed by work.

14 hours and 18 minutes of training for this week.  Next week bumps up to 15 hours.  My last big week before I start tapering.  I know I need to get better about getting to bed at a decent time but I get home at 8 from work most nights, eat dinner, pack my gym bag for the next day, take care of my dog, wash my face, brush my teeth, and by that time its 9 pm.  

I'm not complaining, believe me I'm not.  I'm just admitting that this is tough.  I knew it would be. I love that I'm not finding any of this easy otherwise it wouldnt be worth it in the end.  I mean honestly, do you ever feel truly accomplished after finishing something if it took little to no effort?  What was the purpose in the first place?  What can you say you overcame to reach your goal?  

My Coach and I finally had a heart to heart, while sweating our butts off pedaling on spin bikes, about what I want to do with triathlon.  I told her Pro.  Without hesitation, I mean she could barely get her full question out of asking me if I wanted to go pro before I practically shouted yes.  How well I do at Syracuse followed by Louisville will determine that.  She did tell me that it will take years, which I fully anticipated.  Most professional triathletes are in their late 20's or 30's.  I'm only 22.  So we need to be careful as to how much I train because after so many hours of training, there comes a point where you will just no longer be able to improve.  But I feel with her as my Coach and with my heart and passion for this that it is extremely possible. 


It's going to be a long, tough journey.  I'm going to be tested mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.  And I'm ready, I'm ready to embrace the suck because I know crossing the finish line down the road at Kona I will be able to smile, and cry, and laugh because of everything I put in to get to that point.  But it will all truly start with Syracuse.  To think a glimpse of my future will happen in just over 20 days gives me goosebumps.   

No comments:

Post a Comment